Key Women and Addiction StatisticsWomen may start out using small amounts of drugs or alcohol. However, the addiction grows over time and typically accelerates over a short period. Some key women and addiction statistics reveal the following data including:
- 20 million females 18 or over have used some type of illicit drug in the past year
- Over 8 million females 18 or over have abuse prescription medication in the past year
- From 1999 to 2014, the number of women who are addicted to opioids has quadrupled
- Using tobacco, alcohol, or drugs has contributed to over 5,000 infant deaths since 2005
- 7 to 12 percent of women in the U.S. abuse alcohol
- The number of women who have died from a prescription medication overdose has increased by 400 percent since 1999.